As many as 500 million guests at Marriott International hotels may have been victims of a hack that in many cases pilfered passport numbers, birthdates or other identifying data dating back to 2014, the company announced Friday.

The hack is among the largest ever disclosed, prompting a big drop in Marriott shares and investigations in at least three states including, New York, where Attorney General Barbara Underwood said on Twitter that “New Yorkers deserve to know that their personal information will be protected.”

Marriott said it was alerted on September 8 that there had been an attempt to hack their reservation database in the United States. A subsequent probe concluded on November 19 “that there had been unauthorized access to the Starwood network since 2014” which compromised personal and financial information.


Source: Seychelles News Agency