Madagascar’s seasonal outbreak of plague, which has so far killed two people, is “under control”, Health Minister Yoel Rantomalala said Thursday.

“We have recorded from August 1 to September 17, 13 suspected cases of plague, three of which are confirmed and caused two deaths,” Rantomalala said.

The first fatality was recorded in Fiadanana, north of the capital Antananarivo, while the second was reported in Ambalavao in the Indian Ocean island’s interior.

“For the moment, the situation is under control, we are on the right track,” he told reporters.

Last year more than 200 people were killed before bubonic and pneumonic plague epidemics were brought under control in November.


Source: Seychelles News Agency